Author & photographer • Brightbox Studio LLC
Training for Adobe Creative Cloud desktop and mobile workflows including Photoshop, Lightroom, InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, macOS, and more. See all books and videos, or scroll down to see articles I’ve written.
Adobe Photoshop Classroom in a Book, 2020 release, is now available. Save 35% with coupon code CC2020!
Featured published articles
How big is a pixel? As displays advanced from around 96 ppi to well over 300 ppi, designers needed a way to keep the size of type and objects consistent across devices of different resolutions. The answer was to update the definition of a pixel, in a way that's more familiar than you might think.
Find the best photo hosting website for your work by considering the purpose of your photography, your budget, your design requirements, and your workflow.
Give old film a new digital life with this complete workflow for Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw with Bridge.
To market your photos you must show them online, but that can leave them open to unauthorized copying and usage. Learn to maximize the benefits of sharing your images online while minimizing the risk of having them pirated.
The histogram helps you evaluate the tone and color characteristics of an image. But it turns out that newer tools in Lightroom and Camera Raw are better at showing you the tonal problems you’ll most want to solve.
You affect image sharpness by many decisions you make at all stages of the photographic process, even before you take a digital photograph. After you take it, how you manage image contrast defines sharpness through the rest of the workflow.
Latest blog posts
- Photoshop 2020 Classroom in a Book now available for pre-orderI helped revise the Adobe Photoshop Classroom in a Book for the 2020 release of Photoshop, and it’s now available!
- macOS 10.15 Catalina: Will Adobe software work?Which Adobe software is ready for macOS 10.15 Catalina? Best to use the latest updates; macOS 10.14 Mojave was the end of the line for many older versions.
- Join me at CreativePro Week 2019I’m giving two talks at CreativePro Week, June 10-14 in Seattle! April 15 is the Early Bird Discount deadline. Join me and 40+ industry experts on Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Microsoft PowerPoint, and more. To register now, visit creativeproweek.com. More info on my blog.
- How to Perceive Brightness More Accurately — CreativePro.com articleAre your prints too dark, or does your published work appear darker (or lighter) than expected? If so, you might benefit from simple adjustments to your editing environment. In my article on CreativePro.com, I explain how the way you perceive the brightness of your work depends on a combination of application settings, operating system settings, and display settings. See the details and link on my blog.
- Creative Cloud Storage: Where Does It Go? — CreativePro.com articleDo you know the five places where Adobe Creative Cloud desktop and mobile apps might save your work? I’ll tell you in my article for CreativePro. See the details and link on my blog.
- Prints on display: Wild in North SeattleI’m showing photographs of wild birds making a habitat within steps of our homes. See herons, eagles, and more. On view until the end of December 2018. Details on my blog…
- macOS 10.14 Mojave: Will Adobe software work?Before you upgrade to macOS 10.14 Mojave, make sure the Adobe software you depend on will work.
- Collaborating Through Cloud Services: InDesign Magazine articleHow can you improve creative workflows with your team, using online resources such as Dropbox and InCopy? Read my InDesign Magazine article, Collaborating Through Cloud Workflows, in the May 2018 issue.