Author & photographer • Brightbox Studio LLC
Training for Adobe Creative Cloud desktop and mobile workflows including Photoshop, Lightroom, InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, OS X, and more. See all books and videos, or scroll down to see articles I’ve written.
Featured published articles
How big is a pixel? As displays advanced from around 96 ppi to well over 300 ppi, designers needed a way to keep the size of type and objects consistent across devices of different resolutions. The answer was to update the definition of a pixel, in a way that's more familiar than you might think.
Find the best photo hosting website for your work by considering the purpose of your photography, your budget, your design requirements, and your workflow.
Give old film a new digital life with this complete workflow for Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw with Bridge.
To market your photos you must show them online, but that can leave them open to unauthorized copying and usage. Learn to maximize the benefits of sharing your images online while minimizing the risk of having them pirated.
The histogram helps you evaluate the tone and color characteristics of an image. But it turns out that newer tools in Lightroom and Camera Raw are better at showing you the tonal problems you’ll most want to solve.
You affect image sharpness by many decisions you make at all stages of the photographic process, even before you take a digital photograph. After you take it, how you manage image contrast defines sharpness through the rest of the workflow.
Latest blog posts
- What’s the difference between RGB and CMYK printing? — CreativePro.com articleWhat’s the difference between RGB and CMYK printing workflows? It’s my latest article for CreativePro; see the details and link on my blog.
- From InDesign to Photoshop: InDesign Magazine articleHow can you use an InDesign layout in Photoshop? Read my InDesign Magazine article from the March 2018 issue, co-authored with David Blatner.
- Prints on display: “The Photographer’s Eye” group photo exhibitionPrints on display: I’ve been invited to show travel photos in a group exhibition that opens October 13. Details on my blog…
- macOS 10.13 High Sierra: Will Adobe software work?macOS 10.13 High Sierra is now available. Will your Adobe apps work with it?
- How to test a macOS upgrade with your Adobe softwareWhen you test a new macOS upgrade, take steps to protect your working production system and your Adobe licenses.
- Print on display at Phinney Center GalleryOne of my prints is part of a show at Phinney Center Gallery, now through October 13. Want to see the show? Get the details on my blog.
- How to Compress Video: CreativePro.com articleHow can you compress video easily for online streaming? It’s my new article for CreativePro; see the details and link on my blog.
- Creating a Panorama: CreativePro.com articlePhotoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom make panoramas. But which way is best? It’s my new article for CreativePro; see the details and link on my blog.