Author & photographer • Brightbox Studio LLC
Featured published articles
Find the best photo hosting website for your work by considering the purpose of your photography, your budget, your design requirements, and your workflow.
The debut of Lightroom Mobile on the iPad brings high expectations: Can this new app help a tablet replace a laptop in a raw photo workflow, and how well do photographers' favorite features of the desktop version of Lightroom translate to iOS?
Give old film a new digital life with this complete workflow for Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw with Bridge.
To market your photos you must show them online, but that can leave them open to unauthorized copying and usage. Learn to maximize the benefits of sharing your images online while minimizing the risk of having them pirated.
The Lightroom 4 upgrade makes interesting choices that enhance every part of a digital photographer’s workflow.
The histogram helps you evaluate the tone and color characteristics of an image. But it turns out that newer tools in Lightroom and Camera Raw are better at showing you the tonal problems you’ll most want to solve.
You affect image sharpness by many decisions you make at all stages of the photographic process, even before you take a digital photograph. After you take it, how you manage image contrast defines sharpness through the rest of the workflow.
Latest blog posts
- Discovering a time lapse video in long exposure stillsOne of the most important tools for creativity is keeping an open mind. While reviewing a photo shoot of long exposure still photography, I discovered an even more fun project hiding among the images. For the details, see the article on my blog.
- Using the Samsung 840 EVO SSD Performance Restoration Software on a MacIf you have a Samsung 840 EVO SSD in a Mac, how do you apply the DOS-based Samsung Performance Restoration updater to fix the serious read performance bug?
- OS X 10.10 Yosemite: Will Adobe software work?OS X 10.10 Yosemite is now available. Will your Adobe apps work? I provide info and links in an article on my blog.
- Rethinking the Pixel: It’s All Relative Now — CreativePro.com articleIn the age of the Retina display, a pixel is not the size you thought it was.
- Hyperlapse, time lapse, and video stabilization: Different problems, different solutionsInstagram introduced its Hyperlapse app not long after Microsoft announced its own Hyperlapse research. Coincidence or competition? I think it's something else. Read the details on my blog.
- Editing Highlights and Shadows in Adobe Lightroom and Camera Raw — CreativePro.com articleWhat's the difference between the Basic Tone controls and the Tone Curve in Adobe Lightroom and Camera Raw? While many believe they are the same, a closer look reveals that they affect your images in subtle but important ways.
- How to Blur Backgrounds with a Compact Camera — CreativePro.com articleBlurring the background of a photo helps draw attention to the subject. But it's harder to do with a compact camera than with an SLR camera. The good news? You can blur backgrounds with a small camera by mastering depth-of-field control techniques, and some newer digital compact cameras give you more of the depth-of-field control formerly available only with larger cameras.