Author & photographer • Brightbox Studio LLC
Featured published articles
Find the best photo hosting website for your work by considering the purpose of your photography, your budget, your design requirements, and your workflow.
The debut of Lightroom Mobile on the iPad brings high expectations: Can this new app help a tablet replace a laptop in a raw photo workflow, and how well do photographers' favorite features of the desktop version of Lightroom translate to iOS?
Give old film a new digital life with this complete workflow for Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw with Bridge.
To market your photos you must show them online, but that can leave them open to unauthorized copying and usage. Learn to maximize the benefits of sharing your images online while minimizing the risk of having them pirated.
The Lightroom 4 upgrade makes interesting choices that enhance every part of a digital photographer’s workflow.
The histogram helps you evaluate the tone and color characteristics of an image. But it turns out that newer tools in Lightroom and Camera Raw are better at showing you the tonal problems you’ll most want to solve.
You affect image sharpness by many decisions you make at all stages of the photographic process, even before you take a digital photograph. After you take it, how you manage image contrast defines sharpness through the rest of the workflow.
Latest blog posts
- Lightroom 6 and CC: First impressionsLightroom 6 is available now, with performance enhancements and new features. For additional information and answers to questions that aren't always addressed by the general media coverage of the release, see the article on my blog.
- Prints on display: “Capture the Moment” group photo exhibitionSome of my recent photographs are part of a group show of photography at University House in Issaquah, WA. The reception is on March 13 from 5–7 p.m. with wine and hors d’oeuvres. Details on my blog…
- Which Size Graphics Tablet Should You Buy? — CreativePro.com articleOnce you decide to buy a graphics tablet, which size you should get: Small, medium, or large? Learn about your options in an article I wrote for CreativePro.com; details on my blog.
- Read my review of Blurb Book Creator in InDesign MagazineWant to design a Blurb book using the full power of Adobe InDesign? I reviewed the Blurb Book Creator plug-in for InDesign Magazine (February 2015). For details, read the article on my blog.
- Lightroom Map Module bug fixed in OS X 10.10.2If you use the Map module in Lightroom and it isn't loading in OS X 10.10 Yosemite, Apple has fixed the problem in OS X 10.10.2.
- Got a glitchy photo? Don’t give up!Your photo looks great on the camera display, but on your computer it looks ruined, as if someone applied a glitch effect. Don’t panic! You might be able to save the picture.
- Discovering a time lapse video in long exposure stillsOne of the most important tools for creativity is keeping an open mind. While reviewing a photo shoot of long exposure still photography, I discovered an even more fun project hiding among the images. For the details, see the article on my blog.