Author & photographer • Brightbox Studio LLC
Featured published articles
You can use Creative Cloud mobile apps to feed ideas into Photoshop, and you can now use Photoshop with the new Adobe Preview CC app to more easily design and preview content for mobile apps and web sites.
How big is a pixel? As displays advanced from around 96 ppi to well over 300 ppi, designers needed a way to keep the size of type and objects consistent across devices of different resolutions. The answer was to update the definition of a pixel, in a way that's more familiar than you might think.
Find the best photo hosting website for your work by considering the purpose of your photography, your budget, your design requirements, and your workflow.
Give old film a new digital life with this complete workflow for Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw with Bridge.
To market your photos you must show them online, but that can leave them open to unauthorized copying and usage. Learn to maximize the benefits of sharing your images online while minimizing the risk of having them pirated.
The histogram helps you evaluate the tone and color characteristics of an image. But it turns out that newer tools in Lightroom and Camera Raw are better at showing you the tonal problems you’ll most want to solve.
You affect image sharpness by many decisions you make at all stages of the photographic process, even before you take a digital photograph. After you take it, how you manage image contrast defines sharpness through the rest of the workflow.
Latest blog posts
- Prints on display from Il Palio di Siena at Art WalkJoin me at the Nov 13 Greenwood-Phinney Art Walk 5-8pm in Seattle! I’m showing some of my photos from Italy’s Il Palio di Siena throughout November, thanks to Nutty Squirrel Gelato. For more info, see the article on my blog.
- Curious about Astropad? I reviewed it for CreativePro.comThe Astropad app lets you use your iPad or iPhone as a graphics tablet for a Mac. How close does it get to using a Wacom tablet?
- New OS X color profiles strengthen Mac digital cinema supportThe new color profiles in OS X 10.11 El Capitan have one thing in common, and it's something almost no one is talking about. Read more in the article on my blog.
- A look at the P3 color gamut of the iMac display (Retina, Late 2015)The Late 2015 Retina iMac uses the first wide gamut display that Apple has made for a Mac. I take a closer look at this new display in an article on my blog.
- OS X 10.11 El Capitan: Will Adobe software work?OS X 10.11 El Capitan is now available. Will your Adobe apps work? I provide info and links in an article on my blog.
- Vexed by Hex Web Colors? RGB is OK! — CreativePro.com articleIf the hexadecimal color values of web design are an alien language to you, it's OK to use simpler RGB values in your CSS code. To learn how, read my article on CreativePro.com.
- Read my overview of Adobe Comp CC in InDesign MagazineForget the old cocktail napkin: Sketch your ideas in Adobe Comp CC, an iPad app that can send designs directly to InDesign, Photoshop, or Illustrator. Read my overview of Adobe Comp CC in InDesign Magazine; for more info see the article on my blog.
- A Tale of Two Enter Keys — CreativePro.com articleIf you use an extended keyboard you have two Enter keys, but they don't always do the same thing in software like Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign. I talk about the differences in my article for CreativePro.com.